Thursday 18 February 2016

#FridayFandom: Author Interview with Mike Grosso


Hardcover256 pages
Expected publication: September 6th 2016 by Clarion Books

“This book is the song of my middle-school heart.”—Michelle Schusterman, author of the I Heart Band! series   Sam knows she wants to be a drummer. But she doesn’t know how to afford a drum kit, or why budget cuts end her school’s music program, or why her parents argue so much, or even how to explain her dream to other people.      But drums sound all the time in Sam’s head, and she’d do just about anything to play them out loud—even lie to her family if she has to. Will the cost of chasing her dream be too high?       An exciting new voice in contemporary middle grade, Mike Grosso creates a determined heroine readers will identify with and cheer for.










1. Tell us about your book in 140 characters or less.

I AM DRUMS is an anthem for young musicians of all shapes and sizes.



2. What would be the theme song for your book?

Either Jon Bonham's drum solo in Moby Dick or anything by Buddy Rich.




3. What is your favorite "book" movie and why?

That's an ever-changing answer for me, but the first one that popped in my head was an under-the-radar adaptation of Vonnegut's MOTHER NIGHT. It's probably weird for an MG author to bring up a Vonnegut adaptation, but weird is okay with me!



4. What are you currently writing?

Another contemporary middle grade tentatively titled THE HONESTY PLEDGE. It's about a middle school kid who is encouraged by his school to show better character by always telling the truth. He takes this so literally that he starts telling some uncomfortable truths.

Hidden Worlds Books: Oooh that sounds like a great read! LIAR, LIAR, meets RANDOM ACTS (Sherrard). I can't wait to read it.

5. What are you currently reading?

I just finished ARCs of Marieke Nijkamp's THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS and Patrick Samphire's exciting and hilarious SECRETS OF THE DRAGON TOMB. In my classroom, we just finished a read aloud of BOY ON THE PORCH by Sharon Creech. My kids loved discussing the many definitions of family and the choice to become a foster parent. I'm reading a fantastic ARC of Melanie Conklin's COUNTING THYME at the moment.

Thanks for participating! We look forward to reading I AM DRUMS. Hurrah for MGlit!!




Mike Grosso is a musician and a school teacher who keeps a guitar in his classroom. He lives with his wife and son in Oak Park, IL. His debut middle grade novel, I AM DRUMS, will be published by Clarion Books on September 6, 2016.




No comments:

Post a Comment