Thursday 3 December 2015

#AmReading: Alice Kuipers needs to stop making me cry!

I just finished my second Alice Kuipers novel, Life on the Refrigerator Door. For those of you looking at a 2016 Reading Challenge, add this one to your “Read in one day” section. Not only will you read this book in one evening, you will bawl your face off like a little baby almost the entire way through.




Then I see Globe and Mail’s comment on the cover: “Funny yet poignant….a pure pleasure.” Funny. Yes. Poignant. Yes. A pure pleasure…if you like crying until your eyes turn red and tiny little red spots from broken blood vessels burst all over your face from the sobbing…then by all means yes, a pure pleasure. I would have said: “Funny yet gut wrenching. A must read, but keep a roll of toilet paper nearby. Kleenexes just won’t cut it.” And a must read it is. 




Another Alice Kuiper novel I completed was The Worse Thing She Ever Did. Yes I bawled in that one too. So you must be asking yourself why oh why would I ever submit myself to the heartbreaking torture and add two more of her books to my list? Because she’s awesome. She writes awesome. Her stories are awesome. And I’m a better person having read them. 


image
image

So here’s to the next two novels by Alice Kuipers that I have on my #TBR list: 40 Things I Want to Tell You &The Death of Us. I’d pretty much be kidding myself if I thought these were feel good, smiley books by their titles alone, but Alice writes so well that I can’t help but keep coming back!


image
image

You can find out more information on Alice's webpage: http://www.alicekuipers.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment